Barrel Stave Salmon
We like to use wine barrel staves soaked in Cabernet Sauvignon for this recipe, but pre-soaked cedar planks are an easy alternative.
Serves 6 / Prep Time: / Total Time:
Marinate the salmon:
- Arrange the filets in a baking dish, pour the marinade over and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Make the succotash:
- In a large braising pot over low heat, combine the onions and oil. Cover the pot with a lid and cook until the onions are very soft, without browning, 12 to 15 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. If the onions begin to brown, turn down the heat.
- Add the corn, peppers, zucchini, broth, beans, salt, and pepper. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to boil. Simmer over medium heat, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and let the stew rest for 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the squash blossoms and chives.
Roast the salmon:
- Preheat the oven to 500°F.
- Remove the barrel staves from the water and pat dry. Brush one side of each stave with olive oil and place them on a baking tray.
- Place the salmon filets on the planks and season with salt and pepper. Place a lemon slice and a thyme sprig on each filet.
- Transfer to the oven and bake until the salmon is firm, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove and let rest 10 minutes before serving. Serve with the succotash.