Wild Mushroom Soup
Caramelized Cipollini Onions
Serves 6 / Total Time:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a 4-quart stock pot over high heat, add the cipollini onions (without oil) and stir vigorously. The onions will start to brown immediately. Turn the heat to low and continue to stir the onions for 5 minutes. Once the pan has cooled substantially let the onions slow cook, stirring every minute or so, until they turn a dark golden brown color. This process should take 30 minutes.
- While the onions are caramelizing toss the mushrooms in a bowl with the olive oil and thyme. Place on a baking tray and roast in the oven until golden brown, approximately 20 minutes.
- Once the mushrooms are roasted place them in the pot with the onions along with the beef stock, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 hours.
- Taste and season the soup to desired taste and serve with Parmesan shavings.
I highly recommend making this soup the day before you plan to serve it. Day-old soup always tastes better since the flavors have a chance to fully develop.