Salmon Niçoise Salad
Lemon, Rosemary and Sea Salt
Grilling your salmon is a great way to help it pair well with red wines. Our Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is so food friendly that it pairs great with a light, fresh salad.
Serves 4 / Total Time:
- It is best to make the dressing the day before, as this will help flavors marry together. Place the garlic, anchovies, lemon juice, Dijon, mayonnaise and buttermilk in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Assemble salad Ingredients: Boil the potatoes, blanch the green beans, hard-boil the eggs and wash the lettuce. Organize all of these ingredients together along with the heirloom tomatoes and olives, and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Marinate the Salmon: Pat the salmon filets dry with a paper towel and place into a bowl. (Too much moisture on the salmon will make it stick to the grill. Be sure not to add the salt until right before you grill the salmon. (If you add the salt too soon, it will draw out moisture and cause the fish to stick.) Add the lemon zest, rosemary and olive oil. Toss together and marinate for 30 minutes, then transfer to a plate. While the salmon is marinating, preheat your grill on high. (Depending on how hot your grill gets, you may want to only use medium-high.)
Grilling the Salmon
- Once the grill is fully heated, use a wire brush to fully brush away any carbon debris on the grill grates. Season the salmon with the sea salt and black pepper. Now, with a cotton towel folded into a square, dip 1 edge of the towel into the vegetable oil and quickly brush the grill grates. **Be careful of the flare-up. Place the salmon fillet flesh side-down onto the grill gates. Put the potatoes onto the grill next to the salmon. Let the salmon cook on this side for 4-5 minutes with the lid closed. Flip the salmon and the potatoes over and grill for an additional 4-5 minutes, or until desired temperature is achieved. Once fully cooked, remove the salmon and potatoes from the grill and reserve on a plate.
- In a salad bowl add the butter lettuce and coat with a spoonful of the dressing and some salt and pepper. Arrange the leaves onto a serving platter; then in the same bowl add the potatoes, green beans, heirloom tomatoes, olives, and toss with the dressing. Pile on top of the lettuce. Next garnish the platter with the hardboiled eggs and the grilled salmon filets.