Shaved Artichoke Pizza Silver Oak Winery Chef Dominic Orsini Discover how to make a Shaved Artichoke Pizza with roasted garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and chicory by following our Napa Valley winery recipe and Chefs tips.
Shaved Artichoke Pizza
Roasted Garlic, Sun-dried Tomatoes, Chicory
Makes two (10-inch) pizzas / Total Time:
- In a blender, puree the garlic with the ricotta cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Clean the artichokes: Remove the outer leaves until all that are left are yellow leaves with green tops. Cut the green tops off with a knife or pair of scissors. Using a vegetable peeler peel the green off of the stem of the artichoke. Cut the artichoke in half and look at the center. If the center feels prickly, or is purple, dig it out with a spoon. Once fully cleaned, place in a bowl of ice-cold water with lemon juice to prevent the artichokes from turning brown.
- Thinly slice the artichokes and return them to the lemon water.
Assemble the pizza:
- Place a pizza stone on the second lowest oven rack and preheat the oven to 500°F for at least 30 minutes.
- Generously flour a pizza peel (or lay a sheet of parchment paper on a rimless sheet pan). Place a dough ball on the peel, then lightly flour the top, and flatten, spin, and stretch the dough. Spread half of the ricotta puree over the dough, leaving a ½-inch border uncovered around the edge. Sprinkle half of the sun dried tomatoes and half of the mozzarella over the puree.
Bake the pizza:
- Slide the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone. Bake for 5 minutes, then rotate the pizza 180 degrees and turn on the oven broiler. Continue to bake the pizza until the crust is crisp and golden brown and the cheese is melted, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Place the chicory in a small mixing bowl. Strain the artichokes from the water and add to the bowl with the chicory. Toss with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and immediately brush the crust with oil. Mound half of the salad on top of the pizza and serve immediately.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and ingredients.