Heirloom Tomatoes, Basil and Fresh Mozzarella
This is the best pizza to showcase summer, simply layered with ripe tomatoes and fresh basil from the garden.
Makes two 10-inch pizzas / Prep Time:
- Quarter the tomatoes and crush the pieces by hand into a mixing bowl. Add the oil, basil, salt, and pepper and mix thoroughly. Thinly slice the fresh mozzarella and pat dry with paper towels.
Assemble the pizza:
- Place a pizza stone on the second lowest oven rack, raise the oven temperature to 500°F, and preheat the oven for at least 30 minutes.
- Generously flour a pizza peel (or lay a sheet of parchment paper on a rimless sheet pan). Place a dough ball on the peel, then lightly flour the top, and flatten, spin, and stretch the dough.
- Spread half of the tomatoes over the pizza, leaving a ½-inch border uncovered around the edge. Layer with slices of fresh mozzarella.
Bake the pizza:
- Slide the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone. Bake for 5 minutes, then rotate the pizza 180 degrees and turn on the oven broiler. Continue to bake the pizza until the crust is crisp and golden brown and the cheese is melted, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and immediately brush the crust with oil. Let the pizza stand for 2 to 3 minutes before cutting into 8 wedges. Repeat with the remaining dough and ingredients.