Lamb Sausage Pizza
Basil Pesto, Feta Cheese, Pine Nuts and Lemon
We make our own lamb sausage with an aromatic blend of Moroccan spices that elevates the complex aromas of our Napa Valley Silver Oak Cabernet. This recipe yields a double portion of sausage meat, which you can refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month for later use.
Makes two (10-inch) pizzas / Prep Time:
Make the sausage:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small sauté pan over medium heat, sauté the garlic in the olive oil until soft. Add all of the spices and seasonings and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Transfer to a plate and cool.
- Place the ground lamb and the cooled garlic and spices in an electric mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed for 2 minutes.
- Crumble the meat into small pieces, place on a baking tray and bake until the lamb is thoroughly cooked, about 15 minutes.
Assemble the pizza:
- Place a pizza stone on the second lowest oven rack and preheat the oven to 500°F for at least 30 minutes.
- Generously flour a pizza peel (or lay a sheet of parchment paper on a rimless sheet pan). Place a dough ball on the peel, then lightly flour the top, and flatten, spin, and stretch the dough.
- Spread half of the pesto over the dough, leaving a ½-inch border uncovered around the edge. Sprinkle with half of the preserved lemon, then top with half of the mozzarella. Spread half of the lamb over the mozzarella and top with half of the feta.
Bake the pizza:
- Slide the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone. Bake for 5 minutes, then rotate the pizza 180 degrees and turn on the oven broiler. Continue to bake the pizza until the crust is crisp and golden brown and the cheese is melted, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and immediately brush the crust with oil and sprinkle the pine nuts over the top. Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes before cutting into wedges.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and ingredients.