House Made Crackers Silver Oak Winery Chef Dominic Orsini Make your own Homemade crackers with this recipe from the Silver Oak winery chef for a simple appetizer that pairs best with Cabernet Sauvignon wine.
House Made Crackers
- Place the water, olive oil, honey, and dry active yeast into the bowl of a standup electric mixer. Mix together lightly and let stand for 5 minutes to activate the yeast.
- Add the flour, then the salt on top. Using the dough hook attachment mix on low for 3-5 minutes, or until the dough comes together and is pulling away from the sides of the bowl.
- At this point, remove the bowl from the mixer and cover with plastic wrap. Rest in a warm location until the dough doubles in size. Approximately 60-90 minutes.
- Once the dough is raised scrape out onto a well floured work space and divide, the dough, into 4 pieces.
- If you have a pasta roller, use this to roll the dough out very thin. Ideally 1/16th of an inch in thickness to make a crisp cracker.
- If you do not have pasta roller, then using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to as thin as you can. To achieve the proper thickness, place the dough between two large sheets of oiled parchment or wax paper. This way you can continue to roll the dough and get the 1/16th of an inch in thickness.
- Roll out all four pieces of the dough and transfer them to well oiled baking sheets. Brush each sheet of dough with olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.
- Bake each sheet one at a time in a 350°F oven for 10-15 minutes. Be sure to rotate the baking sheet half way through the baking process.
- Once the crackers are golden in color, remove from the oven and let cool on their baking sheet. Once cool store in an air tight container. The crackers will last up to a week.