Grilled Treviso Salad
Walnut Bread Croutons, Goat Cheese and Pancetta
Treviso is a type of radicchio lettuce that is shaped like a head of cabbage. Grilling the Treviso provides an exciting smoky char that really elevates this salad.
Serves 6 / Total Time:
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and the barbecue grill to high.
- Toss the walnut bread with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Toast in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place the pancetta onto a cookie tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until crispy.
- Put the Treviso in a large mixing bowl and coat with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Place on the grill and cook for 1-2 minutes per side. Once all sides are charred remove from the grill and place onto a plate to cool for 3 minutes.
- Cut the Treviso into bite size pieces and re-toss in the same mixing bowl as before to use up any of the oil and balsamic left in the bowl.
- Place the Treviso on a platter and garnish with the walnut croutons, pancetta, goat cheese and chives. Serve immediately.
High quality aged balsamic vinegar is the best dressing to use with bitter lettuces like Treviso and radicchio. The sweetness of the balsamic counters the spicy bitterness to create a wonderful sweet and sour flavor; the Italians call this “Agro-Dolce.”