Garden Herb Pesto Silver Oak Winery Chef Dominic Orsini Learn how to make homemade Garden Herb Pesto sauce for any food & wine dish from our Napa California winery chef for one of the best basil pesto recipes.
The basil is blanched in this recipe, which helps to preserve the bright green color of the pesto. You can substitute numerous leafy greens for the basil, such as parsley, mint, arugula, and cilantro.
Makes 1 cup / Total Time:
- Prepare a bowl of ice water. Bring a saucepan filled with water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the basil leaves to the boiling water and submerge them with a wooden spoon. Blanch until the leaves wilt, about 1 minute.
- Drain, immediately plunge the leaves into the ice water to stop the cooking, and drain again. Squeeze the leaves over a bowl to remove as much water as possible and reserve ¼ cup of the squeezed water.
- Coarsely chop the leaves and transfer them to a food processor.
- Add the walnuts, cheese, garlic, and salt and pulse all of the ingredients are until finely chopped.
- With the motor running, slowly pour in the oil and the reserved water and purée until smooth.
- Use immediately, or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.