Foraged Mushrooms with Crispy Polenta and Fried Egg
The forest floor aromas of mushrooms harmonize very well our Silver Oak wines. Fresh wild mushrooms, such as chanterelles, porcini, and morels are ideal for this recipe, while oyster, shiitake, Portobello, and cremini mushrooms are good substitutes. I do not recommend using dried mushrooms.
Serves 6 / Prep Time: / Total Time:
Make the polenta:
- Generously oil an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Combine the milk, bay leaf, and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Slowly whisk in the polenta, turn down the heat to low, and cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until the polenta is very thick and no longer gritty, about 15 minutes. Fold in the cheese.
- Pour the polenta into the baking dish and spread evenly with a spatula. Refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours.
Make the mushrooms:
- Heat a deep skillet or wide saucepan over medium heat until hot.
- Add the oil and heat until lightly smoking. Add the shallots, stir vigorously and cook for one minute until golden brown, about 1 minute (do not let them burn).
- Add the mushrooms and sage, and cook until the mushrooms begin to release their moisture, stirring constantly. Simmer the mushrooms until all of the moisture evaporates. (If the mushrooms are very dry and do not release any moisture add 1/4 cup water to the pan.)
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Parmesan, lemon juice, parsley, and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, preheat the canola oil to 350°F.
- Remove the polenta from the refrigerator, invert onto a cutting board and cut into 3-by-3-inch squares. Dust each piece with flour, then pan-fry in the canola oil until golden brown on each side. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the excess oil out of the pan and wipe out the bottom. Add the olive oil and fry the eggs over low heat until the whites have set. Season the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Place a crispy polenta square on each plate, top with the warm mushrooms, a fried egg, and Parmesan shavings. Serve immediately.