Colorado Bison Chili Silver Oak Winery Chef Dominic Orsini Find out how to make Colorado Bison Chili from our California winery chef, Dominic Orsini for one of the best food and red wine pairing recipes.
Colorado Bison Chili
Heirloom Beans, Garden Coriander, Pickled Red Onions and Shaved 5-Year Aged Gouda
Makes 2 quarts / Total Time:
- Heat a large sauce pot over high heat and add oil to coat the bottom. Add bison meat. Cook, stirring occasionally as the moisture seeps out of meat, the liquid boils away and the bison begins to brown. Continue cooking until the meat sears into a dark golden brown color. After color is achieved, pour off any excess fat.
- Add the onion and garlic and continue cooking until they begin to brown. Add the espresso powder, chili powder, cumin and cocoa powder. Stir vigorously and let the spices cook. Just before the spices begin to burn add the Cabernet Sauvignon.
- After the wine has cooled the pan down and boiled off 75%, add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Turn the heat to low and let simmer for 2 hours.
- Serve the chili with the toppings.