Cherry Tomato Galette Silver Oak Winery Chef Dominic Orsini Learn how to make Cherry Tomato Galette from the Silver Oak Napa Winery Chef, Dominic Orsini and discover new recipe techniques to make it the way you desire.
Cherry Tomato Galette
This galette is a great summer brunch item. The recipe includes techniques to make a rustic, free-form galette or a molded tart.
Serves: 6 to 8 / Prep Time: / Total Time:
Prepare the dough:
- Combine the flour, cornstarch, and salt in a food processor and pulse to blend. Scatter the butter over the flour mixture and pulse until the butter is the size of small peas. Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, water, and vinegar. Drizzle the egg mixture over the flour mixture and then mix together with a rubber spatula until blended and evenly moistened. Using your hands, bring the dough together without folding or kneading. Press into a flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- While the dough is chilling, preheat your oven to 375°F and make the ricotta filling.
Make the ricotta filling:
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat, add the shallots and saute until translucent, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool to room temperature. Add the ricotta and fine sea salt and mix to blend.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cherry tomatoes, 2 tablespoons oil, the coarse sea salt, and pepper and stir to coat.
Assemble the tart:
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, transfer to a floured work surface, and roll into a round about ¼-inch thick.
- If using a tart pan, transfer, press, and trim the dough to fit in the mold. Spread the ricotta cheese in the bottom of the shell and arrange the tomatoes on top. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- If making a free-form galette, transfer the rolled out dough to a large sheet of wax paper. Spread the ricotta on the dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Mound the tomatoes over the ricotta cheese. Fold the edges of the dough up and around the center to partially cover the filling, pleating the dough if desired. Transfer the wax paper and galette to a baking tray and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bake the tart until the crust is golden brown and the tomatoes begin to blister, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove and let stand for 30 minutes before cutting. Serve garnished with the basil leaves.