Soft and yummy!
Soft, flavorful rolls are the best with a juicy burger. With this recipe you can make soft rolls at home. At the winery, I use this base dough recipe for many types of bread - soft dinner rolls, Philly-style soft pretzels, and even the best doughnuts you can imagine!
Makes 12 burger rolls / Total Time:
- In a stand mixer bowl, combine the milk, butter, yeast, and sugar. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the egg and flour. Mix for 2 minutes with the dough hook attachment, adding the salt 30 seconds into mixing.
- At this point the dough should be very soft and somewhat wet. Remove the bowl from the mixer, cover with plastic wrap and put in a warm location. Set a timer for 60 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface. Portion the dough into 12 4-ounce pieces and roll into little balls or into ovals for hot dog rolls. Place on an oiled tray in a warm location to let rise for two hours.
- Gently brush or mist the rolls with water and apply garnishes, if using. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for at least 30 minutes. Rolls will last up to a day on the counter or up to a week in the freezer.
If you like toppings on your buns spray them with water before the final rise and sprinkle with your favorite toppings: sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or sea salt and black pepper!