Trending Now: Cabernet With Brunch
As Cabernet and food lovers, we’re often asked if Cabernet can be paired with morning meals like brunch – or, dare we say, breakfast. The short answer – a resounding yes!
Whether you’re planning a special brunch for Mothers’ Day (hint: skip the mimosas) or hosting friends for a mid-morning feast, use Winery Chef Dominic Orsini’s tips and recipes to prepare delicious and unexpected pairings that surprise and delight.
How to Pair Wines With Brunch
- Protein: The weight of each dish should match the weight of the wine. When pairing Cabernet with brunch or breakfast, choose a savory protein like salmon, eggs, bacon, breakfast sausage or cheese.
- Salt and acid: Salt helps to amplify food flavors and soften wine tannins, and acid – like lemon – can brighten a wine and make flavors pop. A sprinkling of capers, which have both salt and acid, are a perfect accompaniment for a morning dish paired with Cabernet.
- Balance of mouth-coating flavors: A tannic red wine like Cabernet will do well with a protein-based sauce like butter or cream.
Classic Brunch Dishes to Pair with Cabernet
- Lox and bagels: This classic dish is a great match for Cabernet given the weight of the salmon and cream cheese balanced with lemon and capers.
- Eggs benedict: Hollandaise, the traditional eggs benedict sauce made with butter and lemon, has rich mouth-coating flavors that are a great pair for Cabernet. For a twist, use salmon instead of Canadian bacon.
- Mushroom frittata or quiche: Eggs bring a dose of protein, and mushrooms an earthy umani. Season with salt and garnish with pickled red onions and crème fraiche.
Cabernet-friendly Brunch Recipes
No matter what time of day you enjoy Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon, a delicious food pairing enhances the experience. Explore our recipes and discover seasonal pairings for our entire selection of Silver Oak and Twomey wines.
For all things Cabernet, subscribe to our Cabernet Life email.
Have a food and wine pairing question? Email Chef Dominic.