Aioli is simply a garlic mayonnaise. In modern cooking, any type of flavored mayonnaise is now referred to as aioli. In this traditional recipe we use lemon juice and raw garlic which gives it a tart and sharp flavor.
Makes 1 cup, total time:
- ¾ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Combine the two oils.
- Place the garlic, egg yolks, lemon juice, salt and Dijon mustard into a small blender or food processor.
- Turn the machine on high and pour in the oil very slowly in a steady thin stream. It should take 3 full minutes for all of the oil to be added.
- Once all of the oil is added taste and adjust seasoning of lemon juice and salt.
- Refrigerate until ready to use; aioli will last up to five days.
• Depending on the size of your blender, you may need to double or even triple this recipe for it to properly mix, or try making it using the “old school” method, below.
• The quality of the lemon juice can significantly affect the flavor of the aioli. If your lemon juice is sharply sour, or if you use pasteurized lemon juice, add 1/8 teaspoon of sugar to help balance the flavor.
• A note about olive oil and blenders: olive oil will become bitter when it is mechanically agitated in a blender or food processor. The solution is to use neutral-flavored oil like canola oil and a little bit of olive oil.
The "Old School" Method:
If you really want your aioli full of extra virgin olive oil flavor you need to mix the aioli together by hand:
1. Roll a kitchen towel up into a snake and bend the towel around to form a doughnut shape. Place your mixing bowl on top of this doughnut. This will hold your bowl in place so you can mix with one hand and pour with the other.
2. Follow the same procedure as above: whisk with one hand and pour the oil with the other. Be sure to whisk quite vigorously (your arm will get tired!). If you need to rest your arm, stop pouring in the oil.
3. Once all of the oil is added, taste and adjust seasoning of lemon juice and salt.