Preserved Meyer Lemons
In this recipe we preserve Meyer lemons using a traditional canning method.
- 4 pounds Meyer lemons, cut in half
- 1 cup sea salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, cracked
- 6 bay leaves, torn
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries, crushed
- 2-3 cups lemon juice (more if needed)
- 1 cup olive oil
- In a large bowl mix the lemons, salt, pepper, bay leaves and juniper berries. Pack the lemons into sanitized mason jars filling them all the way to the top.
- Bring the lemon juice to a gentle simmer and pour into each jar making sure the lemons are submerged in the juice and leaving a ¼ inch space. Fill the remainder of the space with olive oil.
- Follow the USDA home canning guidelines (available on the internet) for recommendations for proper home canning procedures. Be sure to use clean and sanitary methods to properly process and seal the jars.
- The lemons will be ready to serve after one month and will last up to a year stored in a cool dark pantry.