Shaved Artichoke Pizza
Roasted Garlic, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Chicory
Makes four 10" pizzas
- ½ cup Roasted Garlic
- 1½ cups ricotta cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 12 fresh baby artichokes, cleaned as directed in step 3
- 1 recipe Silver Oak Pizza Dough
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups chicory greens, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a blender puree the garlic with the ricotta cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Clean the artichokes by removing all the outer leaves until all that are left are yellow leaves with green tops. Cut the green tops off with a knife or pair of scissors. Using a vegetable peeler peel all of the green off of the stem of the artichoke. Cut in half and look at the center. If the center feels prickly, or is purple, dig it out with a spoon. Once fully cleaned, place in a bowl of ice-cold water with lemon juice. (This keeps the artichokes from turning brown.)
- Thinly slice the artichokes and return them to the lemon water.
- Prepare your wood or home oven and spin the pizza to the desired thickness (see Silver Oak Pizza Dough).
- Spread the roasted garlic and ricotta mixture onto the dough, leaving a 1-inch space around the outer edge. Sprinkle with the sun-dried-tomatoes, and top with shredded mozzarella.
- Bake the pizza.
- Place the chicory into a small mixing bowl. Strain the artichokes from the water and add to the bowl with the chicory. Toss with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the salad on top of the pizza when it comes out of the oven. Serve immediately.