For Meats and Seafood
One of the secrets I learned early in my culinary career was to ALWAYS marinate meats and seafood for at least 2 hours or more. Every piece of protein that comes into my kitchen is marinated for a minimum of 12 hours. This Herb-Dijon Marinade is the most versatile because it works with many meats and fish. You can change the herbs based on seasonality and cuisine style.*
Makes 2 cups
- 1 cup olive oil
- ½ cup parsley leaves with stems, chopped
- ¼ cup thyme leaves, chopped
- ½ cup shallots, chopped
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place ½ cup of the olive oil and the rest of the ingredients into a blender or food processor and pulse for 30 seconds.
- Add the remaining ½ cup of olive oil and pulse an additional 30 seconds. Do not let the blender run at full speed for more than a second or two because the high speed of the spinning blades will cause the olive oil to turn bitter.
- The marinade will last up to a week in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer. When you refrigerate the marinade, you will notice that the olive oil solidifies. Be sure to gently warm the marinade for 10 seconds in your microwave and stir very well to reconstitute when using.
A little bit of this marinade goes a long way. You will only need approximately 2-3 tablespoons of marinade per pound of meat.
*Here are some alternatives to try. These are all based on the recipe above using 1 cup of olive oil. Feel free to use your own creativity; the possibilities are endless!
Provencal: ½ cup basil, ¼ cup thyme, ¼ cup tarragon, ½ cup shallots, ¼ cup Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Italian: ½ cup parsley, ¼ cup rosemary, ½ cup garlic, ½ cup shallots, ¼ cup Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Autumn: ½ cup parsley, ¼ cup fresh sage leaves, ½ cup shallots, ¼ cup Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Asian: ½ cup cilantro, ¼ cup mint, ½ cup scallions, ¼ cup garlic, ¼ cup fresh ginger, ¼ cup soy sauce, ½ cup sesame oil