Beans, Peppers & Squash
This version of succotash is designed to use your summer/autumn garden produce. Feel free to mix up the varieties of vegetables you use; just make sure you include corn, onions, zucchini, peppers and some type of bean.
- ½ red onion, sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 6 ears yellow sweet corn, cut off cob
- 2 green zucchini, diced
- 4 roasted peppers, cleaned and small dice
- ½ cup dry black beans, cooked
- ½ cup dry cranberry beans, cooked
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and black pepper
- ½ cup chives, chopped
- 6 squash blossoms, julienned
- In a large braising pot over low heat combine the onions and olive oil. Cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. If the onions begin to brown, turn down the heat.
- After the onions become soft, add the corn, zucchini, peppers, cooked beans, broth, salt and pepper. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes. Turn the heat off and let the stew rest for 10 minutes.
- Just before serving stir in the chives and squash blossoms.