Candied Madeira Nuts
This recipe is great when made with pecans, walnuts and hazelnuts.
Makes 2 cups
- 2 cups pecans, walnuts and/or hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- ¼ teaspoon cloves, ground
- ¼ teaspoon allspice, ground
- ¼ cup Madeira wine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- Toast the nuts on a cookie tray in a 325°F oven until lightly browned, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- While nuts are toasting, stir together sugar, salt, cinnamon, cloves and allspice in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Combine Madeira, vanilla, brown sugar and butter in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Stir in toasted nuts and continue to cook while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, about 1½ minutes, until nuts are shiny and almost all the liquid has evaporated.
- Transfer glazed nuts to the bowl with the spice mix; toss well to coat. Transfer the glazed and spiced nuts to a cookie sheet lined with wax paper to cool.
- Serve with salads and cheese plates.