Beef Short Rib Bourguignon
Serves 6, total time:
- 5 pounds beef short ribs, cut into 2″ wide pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 parsley stems
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 24 peppercorns
- 4 juniper berries
- 1 cheesecloth bag
- 1 750 ml. bottle Pinot Noir
- 1 quart Beef Stock
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ pound slab bacon, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 pound egg noodles, cooked al dente
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place short ribs in a medium bowl and toss with salt and pepper until evenly coated. Add flour and toss until all the pieces of beef are coated.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat canola oil to high and sear the pieces of beef until all sides are golden brown. Remove meat to a plate and let rest. Discard hot oil and clean out the pot.
- Place bay leaves, parsley, garlic, peppercorns and juniper berries into cheesecloth bag. Add the beef back to the pot along with the Pinot Noir, beef stock, and the bag of spices. Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and place in the oven to cook for two hours.
- Meanwhile, place the olive oil and bacon into a large oven-proof sauté pan. Place pan into the oven and cook for 12 minutes or until the bacon is golden brown.
- Remove pan from oven and place on medium high heat. Add the mushrooms; sauté until brown. Add the onions, celery and carrots; cook for 10 minutes stirring frequently.
- After the beef has cooked for two hours add the reserved bacon and vegetables to the pot. Cook for an additional 30 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve over egg noodles, mashed potatoes, rice, or polenta.
I personally find this dish better when served the next day. If you decide to make it the day before a party, stop after step 6 and refrigerate the vegetable/bacon mixture and the beef stew separately. The next day, preheat the oven to 350°F. Stir the vegetables into the stew while cool and place the pot in the oven. It should reheat within one hour.