Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Bacon and Sage
One important thing to remember about Brussels sprouts is their seasonality. From October through March Brussels sprouts have a sweet cabbage-like flavor, however, once warm weather comes they develop a bitter-mustardy flavor.
Serves 6, total time:
- 4 ounces bacon, diced small
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts, cut in half
- 2 tablespoon fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine bacon and olive oil and place on a baking tray; cook in oven for 10 minutes until the bacon is almost crispy, yet tender in the middle.
- Place the Brussels sprouts in a large mixing bowl with sage, salt and pepper. Pour bacon and olive oil over the sprouts and mix thoroughly.
- Place the Brussels sprouts onto the baking tray and back into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Once tender through to the center, transfer the Brussels sprouts to a serving dish; serve immediately.