Chef Dominic’s Pairing Tips
Silver Oak & Twomey Food Pairing Recommendations
Balance is key when creating a menu to be paired with wines. Here are my personal recommendations and guidelines when developing a meal to pair with Silver Oak and Twomey wines.
- Hors d’oeuvres & First Course
- (Twomey Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Noir)
- Start light and refreshing
- Second or Middle Course
- (Twomey Pinot Noir, Merlot, Silver Oak Alexander Valley)
- Progress to semi-hearty middle course
- Main Course
- (Silver Oak Alexander or Napa Valley)
- Climax with a rich entrée
- Final Course
- (Silver Oak Napa Valley or Twomey Merlot)
- Conclude with a cheese course.
- Semi-firm and firm, low moisture, high salt content, aged cow’s and sheep’s milk cheeses are all good pairings. Try cheeses like manchego, Petite Basque, Parmesans, pecorino, Dry Jacks, aged cheddars, or Piave.
- Recommended Ingredients to pair with Silver Oak and Twomey wines.
- Base Ingredients refer to the main ingredients of a dish.
- Bridge Ingredients help connect the food and the wine by providing umami, acid, salt, or fat.
Twomey Sauvignon Blanc:
- Base Ingredients: shellfish, lean white fish, chicken breast, turkey
- Bridge Ingredients: tender herbs, mint, tarragon, basil, cilantro, dill, all citrus, red bell peppers (raw or roasted) buttery olive oil, flaky butter crusts, yeasty bread, goat cheese, Gruyère, ricotta, mozzarella, feta, Castelvetrano olives, curry spices, sour cream, yogurt, roasted garlic, Dijon mustard, capers, prosciutto, eggplant, sun dried tomatoes, pine nuts, almonds
Twomey Pinot Noir:
- Base Ingredients: pork, pork belly, toasted chicken, veal, rabbit, quail, most seafood
- Bridge Ingredients: roasted garlic, fried eggs; roasted root vegetables, tomato-based sauces, gastrique sauces (with controlled sweetness and acidity, chicken jus, Olives, Dijon mustard, fennel, eggplant, rosemary, oregano, sage, sun dried tomatoes, pancetta, prosciutto.
- Base Ingredients: duck breast, leg confit, rack of lamb, squab, braised beef, grilled salmon, venison
- Bridge Ingredients: roasted garlic, sauces, olives, Dijon mustard, eggplant, mushrooms, rosemary, oregano, sage, demi-glace sauces, red beets, aged sheep’s milk cheese, juniper, most nuts
Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon:
- Base Ingredients: grilled salmon, tuna, roasted beef, lamb, veal, venison, squab, duck, mushrooms, eggplant, red beets
- Bridge Ingredients: mushrooms, roasted beets, demi-glace sauces, cream, butter sauces, most nuts, hearty herbs, aged cow’s milk cheese
Silver Oak, Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon:
- Base Ingredients: grilled NY steak, veal, buffalo, lamb
- Bridge Ingredients: demi-glace sauces, complex Indian spices (not hot), olives, mushrooms, red beets, eggplant, roasted tomatoes, rosemary, sage, thyme, basil, walnuts, pecans, aged cow’s milk cheese