Wagyu Beef Burger
with Fig and Caramelized Onion Jam, White Cheddar, and Yukon Gold French Fries
Wagyu beef is the Japanese breed of steer used to produce the prized Kobe steaks. Kobe beef only comes from Kobe, Japan, however, there are many amazing ranchers here in the U.S. that produce excellent Wagyu beef with comparable quality. In this recipe feel free to substitute your favorite type of ground meat. All natural grass-fed beef makes an excellent substitution.
Fig and Caramelized Onion Jam
- 4 yellow onions, sliced
- 1 pint fresh figs, halved
- 2 cups Twomey Pinot Noir
Yukon Gold French Fries
- 2 quarts canola oil
- 6 Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into wedges
- Salt and pepper
Wagyu Beef Burgers
- 3 pounds ground Wagyu beef, 85/15
- Salt and black pepper
- 6 slices white cheddar cheese, optional
- 1 recipe Burger Rolls
Make the Fig and Caramelized Onion Jam
- Heat a sauce pot (large enough to fit all of the onions) over high heat. When the dry pan (no oil) is very hot, add the onions and stir vigorously. The onions will begin to brown right away; immediately turn the heat to low and continue stirring. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes stirring every five minutes. The onions will slowly turn a light brown color and eventually a dark brown color.
- When the onions have reached a dark caramel color, add the figs and the Pinot Noir. Simmer over medium heat until all the wine is absorbed and the fig and onions have cooked into a thick, yummy jam.
Make the French Fries
- In a soup pot heat the canola oil to 300°F. Add the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the oil and strain on a rack. heat the pot of canola oil up to 350°F.
- Once the canola oil reaches 350°F, add the potatoes back to the oil and fry until they reach a deep golden brown color. Remove from the oil, let drain for 10 seconds, and immediately season with salt and pepper.
Make the Burgers
- Preheat grill. Shape burgers into 6- to 8-ounce portions and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Grill burgers to desired temperature, add slices of white cheddar (if using) to melt, and place on the Burger Rolls, topping with 2-3 tablespoons of the fig and onion jam. Serve with Yukon Gold French fries.