It is virtually impossible to reproduce restaurant-quality brown sauce at home unless you make your own beef broth. Homemade broth has a wonderful gelatin-like consistency and rich flavor. Ask your butcher to make sure the bones are cut into small pieces to get maximum flavor extraction.
Makes 1 gallon
- 10 pounds beef of veal neck bones, cut into small pieces
- ½ 750 mL bottle Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound white onions, diced large
- 4 ounces carrots, diced large
- 4 ounces celery, diced large
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ bunch fresh thyme
- ½ bunch parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
Note: This recipe takes a total of 13 hours…plan accordingly!
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the bones in a large roasting pan and place in the oven. Roast the bones for 45 minutes or until evenly golden brown. Remove roasting pan and keep oven heated to 400°F.
- Remove bones from roasting pan (setting pan aside for later use) and place into a large 5-gallon stock pot and cover with cold water and the Cabernet Sauvignon. Place on medium heat. Once liquid comes to a boil, turn heat to low and maintain a light simmer for 8 hours (adding roasted vegetable mixture after 6 hours; see Step 3). Skim off and discard any oil, foam or skin that forms on the surface of the broth.
- Add the oil and onions to the roasting pan. Place the pan into the 400°F oven and roast the onions, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Stir in the carrots, celery and tomato paste. Cook for an additional 20 minutes. Add the roasted vegetables to the stock during the last 2 hours of simmering.
- Strain the broth into another pot and simmer for an additional 4-5 hours until the liquid is reduced by half. Skim surface of the broth if necessary.
- Chill the broth in an ice bath to cool down quickly. Refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 60 days.
Freeze the broth in small pint batches. Broth can be used for your next braised stew.
For Beef Jus: In step four, continue reducing the broth until there are 2 cups of liquid. Season with salt and pepper.